MOD Armed Forces Tax Returns and Refunds

There has been much confusion about whether MOD Armed Forces personnel (Army, RAF, Navy, Marines) are entitled to tax refunds. The MOD and HMRC have clarified the ruling. The simple answer is, YES, tax refunds can be claimed.

Whilst the rules are still complex, sections 336 – 339 of the Income Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003, generally speaking, if you use your own vehicle to travel to your posted base from your main residence (the place you stay when on leave), and your posting is for a period of less than two years, those journeys can be offset against your tax.

How much can I claim?

It’s possible to claim back tax up to four years, which on average sees repayments in excess of £2,500.

Testimonial quote image

Bettertax not only cleared my penalties but I also received a considerable refund.

Eddie H, West Midlands

What to expect

How easy will it be to claim a MOD tax refund?

It couldn’t be easier. Just sign and return the completed registration pack in the freepost envelope and we’ll manage the entire process with HMRC.

How long does a MOD tax refund take?

From registration to completion, the process can take just 2 weeks for people with a UTR number and as little as 6 weeks for those without. These times will be more than halved in subsequent years once registered as our client.

What are your fees?

Our fee is 25% of the tax refund achieved for each tax year claimed. If we don’t get you a refund, you won’t pay a penny, so you can rest assured that we’ll do everything in our power to get you the best tax refund possible. All fees are subject to VAT.

Why choose Bettertax?

Having been thoroughly vetted by HMRC in 2013, Bettertax not only deliver excellent customer service but our MOD tax refund service is also considered “low risk” by HMRC, which in turn offers better security for our clients’ tax refund claims or Self-Assessment tax returns than other tax agencies.

Military tax returns what’s included

  • Preparation and submission of your Self-Assessment tax return
  • Full HMRC account management
  • Post care – Managing codes, deadlines and any other issues with HMRC
  • Management of Landlord’s rented property tax liability.

  • 12 months of free tax advice
  • Compliance (investigations) and figures checks (if any)
  • Generation of SA302 and other documents for mortgage & loan applications, employment references, CSA
What information will you need from me?

We’ll need:
1.    List of the bases you’ve attended. Providing copies of assignment orders is important as it backs up the claim. They are available for 60 days from JPA.
2.    Monthly payslips as they show what allowances you may have already received so that the correct amount of tax is claimed back. The JPAC website has them for download.
3.    Other supporting evidence will include MOTs, P60s and P45s. We can help you get the information if you don’t have the originals.

If I already get an allowance with GYH or HTD can I still claim?

You may already be receiving Get You Home (GYH) and/ or Home To Duty (HTD) travel allowances. However it is more than likely that the amount received is not the full HMRC entitlement allowed for work related travel. In these cases we can claim the difference.

Will my refund affect my Tax Code?

In many cases yes, but let us know if there are any changes and we can sort it out for you. Check our tax codes page for the current code. If yours is different, get in touch.

What happens next year?

If you are working in similar circumstances we can help you claim again. You’ll already be a client so the whole process will be much quicker and straight-forward.

Outstanding tax returns?

If you’ve fallen behind and have outstanding tax returns to be completed with penalties or debts at HMRC, don’t worry, just give us a call on 01280 821020 and we’ll let you know how we can help.

Rating starRating starRating starRating starRating star
We're rated 5 out of 5 based on over 701 customer reviews on Freeindex
We're rated No.1 out of 758 Accountants in the UK
More than 95% of our customers have come from recommendations
Get in touch today, it couldn't be easier...Start your Bettertax