MOD Armed Forces - Tax Back


MOD armed forces tax refunds

Can I make a tax claim?

There has been much confusion about whether MOD Armed Forces personnel (Army, RAF, Navy, Marines) are entitled to tax refunds. The MOD and HMRC have clarified the ruling. The simple answer is, YES, tax refunds can be claimed.

Whilst the rules are still complex, sections 336 – 339 of the Income Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003, generally speaking, if you use your own vehicle to travel to your posted base from your main residence (the place you stay when on leave), and your posting is for a period of less than two years, those journeys can be offset against your tax.

What information will you need from me?

We’ll need:
1.    List of the bases you’ve attended. Providing copies of assignment orders is important as it backs up the claim. They are available for 60 days from JPA.
2.    Monthly payslips as they show what allowances you may have already received so that the correct amount of tax is claimed back. The JPAC website has them for download.
3.    Other supporting evidence will include MOTs, P60s and P45s. We can help you get the information if you don’t have the originals.

How long does the process take?

A quick phone call to us identifies your eligibility to make a claim and a pack can be sent out to you. It contains forms so that we can register you as a client and authorise HMRC to talk to us on your behalf. We’ll send these off to HMRC as soon as you return them. It can take several weeks for this process to complete at HMRC’s end. We’ll obtain other information in advance of contacting you to book an appointment.

From appointment to you receiving your refund (less our fee), at this time, takes 2 – 4 weeks.

I think I already get an allowance with GYH or HTD

You may already be receiving Get You Home (GYH) and/ or Home To Duty (HTD) travel allowances. However it is more than likely that the amount received is not the full HMRC entitlement allowed for work related travel. In these cases we can claim the difference.

Will my refund affect my Tax Code?

In many cases yes, but let us know if there are any changes and we can sort it out for you. We wrote an article “Have They Changed Your Tax Code” – the same still applies today.

What happens next year?

If you are working in similar circumstances we can help you claim again. You’ll already be a client so the whole process will be much quicker and straight-forward.

What is your fee?

Our fee is 25% of the refund achieved (on each tax year). If we don’t get you a refund, you won’t pay a penny, so you can rest assured that we’ll do everything in our power to get you the best refund possible. However, do note that if the achieved refund is less than £250 in any year claimed, we will deduct the first £62.50 for each year that occurs, as a "costs" fee. All fees are subject to VAT at the prevailing rate.

You will get back more of the tax owed to you with us than you would with  the "market leader"!

Do you have a "refer a friend" scheme?

We always appreciate being referred and our reward scheme reflects our gratitude. We'll pay you £100 for the first 5 successful friends with a further £200 for the next 5! That's a big £300 for 10 successfully claiming referrals - 50% more than our leading competitor pays out! Remember, you can do this as many times as you like - refer 100 friends and colleagues and you will have collected £3000!

I'd like to know more

Calling us is the best way so, simply call 01280 821020 or click the “Start Your Tax Refund” button below. More information is on our Tax Returns Process page.



★★★★★ has been rated 5 out of 5 based on 556 customer reviews on Freeindex. We're No.1 out of 3848 Accountants in the UK.



start your self-assessment tax return

We use cookies to make your experience easier.