Uniform Tax Rebates

Created by Rosie

Following on from Paul Lewis' Breakfast TV slot this morning, and a subsequent Facebook comment by Martin Lewis (no, they are not related! The Lewis' that is!), I thought I'd talk a little about tax relief on uniforms and workwear.

washing uniforms tax rebates


As a tradesman's tax refund company, claiming the tax back on workwear and uniforms is just a part of what we do.
HMRC have certain criteria when it comes to tax claims on uniforms. Money Saving Expert sets it out:

To be able to claim tax relief, ALL of the following must apply:

1. You wear a recognisable uniform that shows you've got a certain job, like a branded T-shirt or police uniform. Also, we've heard reports that even plain clothes, without a logo, that you only wear for work may count - it's worth a try.

2. Your employer requires you to wear it while you're working.

3. You have to pay to clean, repair or replace it yourself. However, you can't claim if your employer washes your kit, provides facilities to do so (even if you don't use them) or pays you for doing this maintenance.

4. You paid income tax in the year you are claiming for.

These uniform claims can be claimed for up to 4 years. If it is just a claim being made for uniform "maintenance", the tax code will probably be adjusted to take what you could get back, into account. However, if your tax code is changed, it is important to make sure that if you change jobs or circumstances, you apply to get the tax code changed accordingly.

As always, do call us if you need any help and advice.



Read 3064 times

We use cookies to make your experience easier.